Thursday 15 November 2012

Life after Winston...



The impact of a Winston Churchill Fellowship continues to make an impression on me and my developing work.  It is a continuing process, and every few days there is a 'ping' as another insight slots into place.

The extraordinary resilience of the people I met is very inspiring.  Despite the many difficulties in different countries, especially the challenge of changing attitudes towards elderly people, and the low priority given in government budgets, nevertheless there was amazing artistic work taking place and a fundamental attitude of real care.

In Malaysia and Romania I was most impressed by the sense of 'network' - nobody was working in isolation, even though there was a shortage of funds; there was a developed sense of community and people supported each other.  Many projects were carried out in memory of a relative with dementia who had died, and families were very happy to see their loved one's name being carried on.  

The UK can learn a lot from programmes overseas, and rediscover local networks of support.  There is far less chance of abuse and neglect in an environment where people have time to take an interest and visit.  

I recommend Winston!  It has certainly helped me stop in my tracks, and give practice and programmes a new appraisal!  (Winston Churchill Memorial Trust)

No comments:

Post a Comment