Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Arts and Elderly People







Good News!  I have been awarded a Churchill Fellowship for 2012-2013.

I am able to travel to the countries of my choice to study and research my chosen themes 'Arts and Elderly People' for up to 8 weeks.  My travel, insurance and lodging are paid by the Fellowship.  This means it is a bit tough for freelancers who are not salaried and therefore cannot get paid leave.  So I am having to work twice as hard for the moment!

I shall go to St Petersburg (3 weeks) for my main visit because they have a hospital and centre where all the arts are developed with older people, and I shall be documenting the visits on this blog as I go.

I am also going to Malaysia (2 weeks) because I am particularly interested in the attitudes towards older people and their roles, as well as what the arts are contributing to their well-being. My third country has to be Czech Republic, (2 weeks), birthplace of my beloved late husband.  I shall be carrying out interviews with leading care workers as well as seeing the work in several homes and day centres for older people.  This gives me one extra week for any necessary follow-ups.

Watch this space for updates and do let me have any contacts you may have in these countries  What an adventure!

1 comment: