Friday 25 January 2013

Mask making in Romania






Why do I have to get away from everything and everyone in order to make masks and indulge my messy playfulness!  In Romania with deep snow and minus 22 degrees, I realised it was months since I had made any masks!  Out with plaster of Paris bandage (Modroc), Vaseline and warm water (remembering not to clog up the sink by pouring away left-over water!).  I love the feel of the materials and the pliability of the plaster.

Sometimes I have a theme in my head but this time it was just seeing what emerged as I cut, moulded and shaped.  In a sense the masks made me, rather me making the masks.  Several distinct characters emerged which are still intriguing me.  

The first is a strong mask of the shadow and the light, with blurred cross over in a vertical divide.  Although the shadow is on the left as I was making it, when I wear it it is on my right!  Now there is a paradox!  The second mask is a little girl, pink skinned and yellow hair, and she is screaming.  She feels very disturbing and disturbed. 

The third mask is a clown or fool, who feels very important to me right now.  This mask is obviously calling rather that screaming and has beaded hair!

The three fit one inside the other - little girl covered by shadow-light covered by clown!

One in three and three in one!

No comments:

Post a Comment