Tuesday 6 November 2012

Creative Care and Playful Dementia






I have been pestering people about the importance of understanding attachment and playfulness with older people: especially with  those people who have dementia.  At last, at last I have been heard!

The British Association of Play Therapists who publish a magazine have asked me to write their lead article about play with older people.  My excitement is growing as I realise what a break through this is.  Most people regard play therapy as an intervention with the very young who have troubled or muddled lives.  What is important to realise is that older people also have troubles and muddles, often being disrupted from their home with perhaps a few of their possessions.  They are placed in a care home that is usually not of their own choice, and join the invisibles.

Furthemore, Musack will not satisfy people with a deep knowledge of classical music or who enjoy literature or plays, for example.  Many care homes now have activity organisers who arrange programmes every week, from keep fit to bingo, all of which is fine.  However, what about the people who do not enjoy activities, who are used to a different kind of cultural life, and who have skills and  experience, such as being able to play the piano?

As I write this article I realise that I have too much to say!  Maybe I feel a book coming on...

2 comments:

  1. Visiting Angels is indeed a blessing. I needed someone to care for my mom who lives in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. She suffers from Alzheimer’s and I live in England. I was able to choose the right caregiver for my Mom. The person was experienced and had excellent credentials. I have peace of mind knowing that Mom is in capable hands. You should check them out at www.visitingangels.com/palmbeaches (561-328-7611) if you need senior care services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking on the internet to find some options on how to care for my elderly parents in West Palm Beach, FL. I found a great website with lots of pertinent info. Check it out at www.seniorhomecareadvice.org maybe it can help you too.

    ReplyDelete