Monday 26 March 2012

Who is helpless?




In the moment I felt completely helpless - being screamed at by a young female Israeli  at a checkpoint just outside Jerusalem.  The setting was just glorious, expansive blue sky, masses of cherry blossom, and hibiscus.  I had been to Beit Jala, a Palestinian township just outside Jerusalem to meet with an old friend and colleague Marina Barham.  She runs a remarkable theatre group 'Al Harah' who perform social theatre and political theatre as well as leading workshops for community leaders and people working in rehabilitation.

We had a simple but delicious meal in a well known street cafe and then started the journey home.  The sign post said Tel Aviv and there was nothing to suggest I should not be there or that special documents were needed.  I was travelling with an Arab friend, actor and dramatherapist, and we were stopped by a male soldier who said I needed a blue card to go through this check-point, and we asked very nicely to speak to his senior colleague.  A young woman of about 20 years started to abuse me verbally at the top of her voice, screaming to go away...  I won't repeat the remainder of her vitriol, but I was shaking as a result.

Why does this need to happen?  Will anything go anywhere for anybody if this is communication.  And of course it is far worse for the Palestinians and Arabs who live with this all the time.

Is this woman feeling helpless?  If I saw her in my clinic I would know exactly what to do  But why should anyone, let alone a foreign traveller, be subject to this abuse on a public highway?

No comments:

Post a Comment